Sunday, November 27, 2011

Gratitude

I noticed as Thanksgiving approached that there were a lot of on-line and print media articles on gratitude and all its positive effects on our psyche and health. "They" (researchers, scientists, doctors, etc.) are saying there is quantitative evidence that gratitude increases the quality of our lives. There are differences that appear in our brains based on scans from people who kept gratitude journals, for example. "They" say people are happier since they regularly focus on the things and people that bring them joy and that this sense of gratitude makes them feel more connected with their communities.

For a couple of years now I've made a New Year's resolution to be more positive. Like most New Year resolutions, whether it's losing weight or whatever, it lasts about two hours. So perhaps I am going about it wrong. Instead of trying to be more positive, I should be more grateful.

A couple of weeks ago at the end of my dance class we were asked what we were thankful for, and everyone took a turn. I know I left there feeling a lot lighter and even happier than I normally feel.

Right now I am grateful for a lot, actually. My health, my daughter's health (although she's battling a cold), my car being paid off and still dependable, my house. I am also grateful that if I have to be laid off, that it's at a time of year that allows me to have more time with my daughter to make Christmas special. I am always planning to have that "perfect" Christmas where we decorate leisurely, bake lots of cookies and share lots of Christmas-related fun. Instead, everything is squeezed into everyday life and the next thing you know, it's time to pack everything up again. So this might finally be that year where we have the time to do everything we want and at a pace where we can keep the smiles on our faces. It's nice to dream, er, have a goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment